Please read ALL below information before starting.
In order to install DSiWare backups, you must ALREADY have the app named "Flipnote Studio" installed on this device. You can check in Data Management to see if it is installed.
These instructions ONLY work on USA DSi systems! Make sure that there is a "U" by your version number in system settings.
- DSi Backup Installation Pack
- Your DSiWare backup (see here for how to convert 3DS DSiWare backups from fre/eShop cia format to .app
- An SD card (4GB or greater reccomended)
- The latest release of Python 3
Section I - Copying Correct Files for TWLnf
- Power on your DSi.
- Take note of how many blocks you have free under "System Memory", and make sure that you have more blocks free than your newly installed app will take. Installing an app without enough blocks will result in a brick.
- If you do not have enough free blocks, you can free some space by copying over some apps you have installed to your SD card and then deleting them from System Memory.
- Go to System Settings > Data Management > System Memory > Flipnote Studio (any other DSiware in this area will work as well) > Press Copy > Press Yes, and finally exit to the DSi Menu. (If you cannot access Data Management, try opening the DSi Shop, then close it, and try again!)
- Power off your device, and insert the device's SD card into your computer.
dsi_srl_extract.zip. Open the drive of your SD card, then navigate to the folder titled
Title. Copy your .bin file into the unzipped
dsi_srl_extractfolder. If you see more than one .bin file, just copy ONE.
- Double-click on
console_id.pyto run it (you need to have python downloaded if you do not already!). You will now see a console_id.txt file in the same folder. If using Mac or Linux, use 'Wine' so that the python will run properly.
console_id.txtto the root of your SD card.
Section II - Copying the DSiWare title to SD
- Make sure you have enough blocks available for your new app (See the beginning of Section I). If you do not, you WILL brick!
- Unzip and open
DSi Backup Template>
Game Folder Template >
tmdsand find the tmd file that has the titleid (see below) for the game you want to install. Copy the tmd file back into the
- Delete the
- Copy the game you want to install to the
Contentfolder. NOTE: The backup NEEDS to be in .app format! You must obtain this file YOURSELF.
- Look at the tmd file (that you just copied over!) for your backup. If it ends in .0, rename your file "00000000.app" (there are eight zeros) For .256, name the backup "00000001.app" (there are seven zeros) and for .512, name the backup "00000002.app" (there are seven zeros.)
- Rename the tmd
- Go back to
DSi Backup Templatefolder, and rename
Game Folder Templateto the name of your DSiWare.
- Copy ALL files and directories (srl extractor optional) inside the
DSi Backup Templatefolder to the root of your SD card!
- Unplug your SD card, and then insert it into your DSi.
Section III - Installing Your DSiWare title
- Power on your DSi
- Ensure your DSi has over 50% charge, if not, plug it in.
- Make sure you have enough blocks available for your new app (See the beginning of Section I). If you do not, you WILL brick.
- Find the application named "Flipnote Studio" and open it.
- Choose "view flipnote", then choose "SD card"
- Choose "select folder", then choose "user" instead of "normal"
- Open the ugopwn folder
- Tap on the note with the red bottom half, then select "edit"
- When you are on the editing page, tap on the flipnote frog icon in the bottom left (alternatively, press the up arrow for right handed users, or the X button for left handed users)
- Tap on the film roll icon, then choose "copy"
- Choose "back", then "exit"
- Tap on the second note, then choose "edit"
- Tap on the flipnote frog icon in the bottom left
- Tap on the film roll icon
- Tap on the single right arrow (the next to last arrow icon) two times. You should see that a new frame is created.
- Tap on the paste button exactly 122 times
- Tap the erase button, then the paste button
- TWLnf will now boot up. If you see nothing happening or your DSi freezes, repeat section three, and make sure your SD card is formatted to fat32 and that the 'Flipnote calendar on boot' option in flipnote settings is disabled.
- You will be prompted to create a NAND backup. Follow the on-screen instructions to make one.
- Eventually, you will see a prompt to 'mount' your NAND backup. When you see this, press X.
- You will see a warning about how unsafe mounting it directly can be, so either continue, or exit twlNF if you don't want to risk it to install a DSiWare backup.
- Navigate to the folder with the name of your DSiWare title, then the content folder, and press 'A' on the title.tmd file.
- Press 'A' again to install your DSiWare.
- Wait until you see a message that says 'All Done.' If you do not see this message (eg. you see an error), you may have a corrupt game backup, or you may have followed the instructions incorrectly. Restart from section two. If the issue persists, contact the NDSiBrew Discord.
- Press the 'select' button and then the 'A' button. When your DSi turns off, turn it back on. Your game will now appear on your homescreen!
That is all! You have successfully installed a DSiWare backup to your DSi system.>