This page still works fine, however, it is quite outdated and complicated. Follow here for an updated Sudoku+sudokuhax guide. Sudokuhax is really the only exploit you need.
We will now install an exploitable DSiWare on your DSi. Before starting, look at the table below and choose one of the DSiWares for your region. If you have already gotten one of these on your DSi or on a 3DS, choose that one. If not, choose Sudoku, which is the only one still purchaseable on the 3DS eshop. After choosing a DSiWare, write down its short and long IDs.
|DSiWare/Application||Short ID||Long ID|
|Legends of Exidia||USA: 4b4c4545
|The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition||USA: 4b513945
We do not condone the use of piracy to obtain a copy of one of these DSiWare applications, and strongly encourage you to buy Sudoku on the 3DS eshop instead of resorting to piracy (seriously, it's only $2).
What you need
- A way to boot into FWTool, such as ugopwn (incompatible with non-USA consoles)
- An encrypted Nand backup of the DSi you are installing an exploit to
- A .app or .cia version of the DSiWare you want to install
- The latest release of ctrtool
- The sudoku patch pack
- The latest release of No$GBA
- The Nintendo DSi BIOS
- The latest release of fwTool
- The latest release of TempNand
- If you don't have a .cia version of the DSiWare you want to install, use FunkeyCIA or Villain3DS to get one using the eshop data of a 3DS console that has bought one of these apps (if you haven't bought one yet, Sudoku is the only one still on the eShop).
- Download and extract the contents of the
crtool releaseto a new folder
- Place your .cia file in the crtool folder and rename it to
extract.bat. You should get a file called
00000000.app, which is the .app version of your DSiWare.
- You do not need to follow this section if the DSiWare app you are exploiting is not Sudoku. If you have Sudoku on your DSi already but bought after 2011, you should still follow this section and the next one, because you probably have the version that cannot execute the exploit.
- Download the
sudoku patch packand extract it to a new folder.
- Place your .app version of sudoku in that folder.
- Open Lunar IPS. Select "Apply IPS patch".
- Select the .ips file corresponding to your DSi's region.
- Switch the file view from "Most Common ROM Files" to "All files (*.*)".
- Select your .app file. It will then be turned into the original Sudoku.
- Make sure you have an encrypted nand backup of your DSi's nand (in other words, the last working "nand_dsi.bin" file).
- Open TempNand. (if you have already gone through the Setup process in another page of this guide, you can skip the next two steps).
- Go to the setup tab and choose "Console ID", then "get Console ID from file". Choose a .bin file you got from system settings by dumping any app (follow Section I of the downgrade page if you do not have this).
- Go to the setup tab and choose "CID", then "get CID from file". Choose the CID.bin file you got from fwtool in the earlier section (follow Section I of the downgrade page if you do not have this).
- Go to File, then "Open Encrypted nand". Choose your "nand_dsi.bin" file.
- Wait a few seconds for the file to open. The program may appear to freeze up, but please give it time.
- Once the buttons start working, click on the one labeled "Install exploit app"
- In the drop down menu of the window that pops up, choose the app you are installing, then click "Install"
- Navigate to where you have your .app file and double click it.
- Wait one or two seconds, then go to File and choose "Save as". Navigate to the folder in your DSi with random letters and replace the nand_dsi.bin file there (Don't close TempNand yet).
- You can skip to step 28 if you have done this already.
- Download and extract NO$GBA to a directory.
- Extract the DSi BIOS files from the "DSi firmware files.zip" archive into the NO$GBA directory
- Open No$GBA.
- Go to options and then Emulation setup.
- In the Emulation tab, set “Reset/Startup Entrypoint” to “GBA/NDS BIOS (Nintendo logo)” and NDS Mode Colors to “DSi (retail/16MB)”. Then click Save Now and then OK.
- On TempNand, click File and then "Save for No$GBA". Navigate to the No$GBA folder and save it there with the name "DSI-1.mmc"
- Open No$GBA again.
- Go to File, Cartridge Menu (FileName), and then open any .nds file (such as FWTool).
- Your NAND will now be emulated by NO$GBA. Check that your NAND works perfectly
- If everything works on NO$GBA, then continue. If not, restart and find what went wrong!
- Open fwtool using any exploit you have on your DSi (if you only have ugopwn, follow steps 8-22 of the Downgrading page to open fwtool).
- Once in FWTool again, select
Restore nand_dsi.bin(This may take a while. DO NOT EXIT FWTool until the restoration is complete.)
- Exit FWTool. You should now have an exploited DSiWare installed!
Section I - Converting your .cia to a .app
Section II - Patching Sudoku
Section III - Installing the DSiWare app to a nand backup
Section IV - Testing Your NAND with NO$GBA
Section VI - Flashing your NAND
If you would like to check out what DSi Homebrew you can now use, check out the Homebrew Downloads page.