NOTE: THIS SITE IS IN EARLY ACCESS. THE GUIDES WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED UNTIL THE HACKS ARE RELEASED! BOOKMARK THIS PAGE FOR UPDATES.
This guide works with the DSi as well as the DSi XL. This does not work with the 3DS, DS Lite or DS Phat.
This guide is for retail (consumer purchased) DSi and DSi XL consoles only!
Read all of the introductory pages before proceeding.
What is homebrew?
Homebrew means software that is not made or authorized by Nintendo. This lets you play games made by homebrew developers, edit your saves, and much, much more.
DSi Homebrew is 100% Free! As long as you have the required materials, you're good to go.
What is Custom Firmware?
Custom Firmware (“CFW”) enables you to use more advanced hacks that any normal DSiWare homebrew can't acheive, like installing DSiWare backups, custom DSiWare apps, and anything else that only the ARM7 processor can do.
CFW can be easily set up on any console.
What does this guide install?
This guide installs a modified whitelist called RocketLauncher and a version of DSi Custom Firmware known as "HiyaCFW."
What can I do with Custom Firmware?
- Play all DSiWare games, without region locking!
- Use “ROM hacks” for DSiWare games
- Manage saves for many DSiWare games
- Play games for older systems by using emulators
- Install homebrew titles to your system, and have them appear on your Nintendo DSi Menu
- Run many old Nintendo DS flash carts that were blocked long ago or never worked on the DSi/DSi XL
What do I need to know before starting?
- You should know that there is a chance your console could brick (not function at all) if you do something incorrectly. The chance of this is ALMOST 0% IF you follow instructions.
- This guide will work on DSi and DSi XL consoles in all regions except China and Korea on firmware 1.4.5 or below. NOTE: THIS WILL NOT WORK ON ORIGINAL DS PHAT OR DS LITE!
- Keep your DSi plugged in AT ALL TIMES DURING THIS PROCESS to avoid sudden power loss!
- You may need an NTR DS cart for this process. All DS carts are labelled NTR. DSi-enhanced or DSi-exclusive carts are labelled TWL.